Tips for interpersonal effectiveness using INSIGHTS
Exceptional interpersonal effectiveness together with self awareness are a must have. These tips from INSIGHTS will enable you to improve your self awareness. Further more they will give you guidelines for how you engage with others. Chances are you part of various teams – at work, in your personal life, in your hobbies and within communities.
In brief, your ability to embrace diversity and work well with others has never been more important. Globalisation, technological advances and the new world of work all demand that we are competent at quickly building effective relationships in order to progress and achieve goals.
What is INSIGHTS?
INSIGHTS Discovery, particularly, is a powerful tool based on Jungian Psychology. It assists us in understanding the world of human relationships. In addition, it develops our interpersonal effectiveness. Moreover, it’s fun, thought-provoking and alarmingly accurate. Here’s what an INSIGHTS personality profile will give you:
- a profound understanding of who you are
- clarity on how and why you may battle to connect and engage with certain individuals
- ideas on how to develop strategies for being more effective at connecting with in terms of others
To begin with, INSIGHTS personality profiling tells us is that we all have specific preferences. These relate specifically to 6 key factors:
- how we show up or our attitude – introversion or extroversion
- the way we engage with information – our perceiving functions being sensing or intuitive
- our preference for making decisions – thinking or feeling
The Colour Personality Preferences
In short, there are 4 main colour preferences each with their own characteristics. They are:
- FIERY RED
- EARTH GREEN
- COOL BLUE
- SUNSHINE YELLOW
The good news is that there is no right and wrong choice of preference. In fact, no colour energy is any better than another. Likewsie, each colour preference has its strengths and possible areas for development – namely good and bad day behaviour. In fact, most of us lead with two colour preferences. The truth is even though we prefer 1 or 2, we actually have all 4 colours within us. Generally, we access the various colour preferences at different times, as we need them.
Which colour preference do you think best describes you in the work place? Also, consider a partner, family member or significant other. Which adjectives best describe them?
How will INSIGHTS help with interpersonal effectiveness?
Interpersonal effectiveness starts with self-awareness – essentially, having good insight into who we are and what makes us tick.
Interpersonal effectiveness starts with self-awareness – essentially, having good insight into who we are and what makes us tick. Similarly, when we understand ourselves, we can then build strategies to build effective relationships with others.
When we use the INSIGHTS model as a map we can significantly improve our interpersonal effectiveness. As a result, we enhance our team effectiveness and furthermore our organisational effectiveness.
Before engaging with others, by simply considering their preference needs, we can improve the quality of the conversation thereby influencing the outcome. Here is an example of a quick reference guide to work with.
- Be direct and to the point
- Focus on results and objectives
- Be brief, be bright and be gone
- Hesitate or waffle
- Focus on feelings
- Try to take over
- Be patient and supportive
- Slow down to their pace
- Ask their opinion; give time to answer
- Take advantage of their good nature
- Push them to make quick decisions
- Spring last minute surprises
- Be well prepared and thorough
- Put important things in writing
- Let them consider all the details
- Invade their personal space
- Be flippant on important issues
- Change their routine without notice
- Friendly and sociable
- Entertaining and stimulating
- Open and flexible
- Bore them with details
- Tie them down with routine
- Ask them to do things alone
Attending an INSIGHTS Discovery workshop will help build your self-awareness. It builds strategies for working more effectively with others thereby improving and strengthening the quality of the relationship.
In summary, INSIGHTS enables organisational effectiveness improving personal and team effectiveness. Whether its prospects, customers, colleagues, or your staff, understanding yourself and how to adapt your style is a powerful life skill.